/ FAQ / Applying for FEE-HELP

Ask - /faq/3777/applying-for-fee-help/

Go back a step

Applying for FEE-HELP

How do I apply for FEE-HELP?


To be eligible for FEE-HELP, you must be either:

  • an Australian citizen who will study at least one unit of your course of study in Australia;or
  • a permanent 'humanitarian' visa holder who studies the entire course while living in Australia
  • a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder who meets the long term residency requirements and who studies the entire course while living in Australia; 
  • undertaking an award course in an Australian Fee Paying place and have sufficient FEE-HELP balance (refer to Study Assist website )

A permanent visa holder is only eligible for FEE-HELP if undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals.

How to Apply

In order to defer your fees via FEE-HELP, you must complete and submit a Request for FEE-HELP form providing your tax file number. This request must be submitted via my.unimelb prior to your enrolled subject census dates.

To access the Request for FEE-HELP form:

  1. Log into my.unimelb
  2. Select the 'Student Admin' tab
  3. Select the 'Fees' tab or 'Go to fees'
  4. Select 'Apply for Commonwealth Assistance' (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, SA-HELP)
  5. Select 'Add New' next to the relevant course
  6. Select 'Request for FEE-HELP'.

Detailed information about eligibility for FEE-HELP is available from the Study Assist website.

Please note: It may take up to 3 working days for your request to be approved.

Once your 'Request for FEE-HELP assistance' form has been successfully submitted and approved, your tuition fee charges as indicated on your Statement of Liability will be updated to 'optional'. FEE-HELP assistance will apply for all subjects that you undertake under that course only from the date of submission. If you transfer from one Australian Fee Paying course to another OR enrol into a different course, you will need to re-apply for FEE-HELP assistance per course.

You might find some of these answers helpful