/ FAQ / Paying A Student Contribution

Ask - /faq/3158/paying-a-student-contribution/

Go back a step

Paying A Student Contribution

What happens if I do not pay my student contribution amount 'up front' by the census date?

Each year you are required to pay a student contribution amount determined by the Australian Government, to cover the cost of your subjects. These payments can be made upfront, or deferred through a HECS-HELP debt.

If you are:

  • Enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)
  • Have provided the University with your tax file number, and
  • Are eligible to defer payment of your student contribution amount.

A HECS-HELP debt will be automatically reported to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

You can check if you are eligible to defer your student contribution amount at the Study Assist website.

If you are enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place and are required to pay your student contribution up front but fail to do so (in accordance with Commonwealth Government legislation) you will be withdrawn from your subject(s) on the census date.