Ask - /faq/6182/Go back a step
Downloading Google Account Data
How do I download data from my University Google account?
The Student IT Google Apps FAQs detail a number of supported options to backup your student Email account, such as forwarding to a personal Gmail account or adding your student account to a desktop mail client. Alternatively, you can export and download your data from your student email account to keep as an archive. This may be useful as a backup, particularly for Alumni after you have finished studying. Your student Google account, including Gmail, will be deleted 12 months after the completion of your studies.
- Make sure you are logged into your student Google account and not a personal account.
- Visit Google's Download your data. You can only access this once you have logged into my.unimelb and accessed your email.
- Choose which product(s) you want to include in the archive and configure the settings for each.
- Click 'Next' and choose the file type and the delivery method (email, Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox).
- Select 'Create Archive'.
- For email - Wait for the email notification confirming that your Google data archive is ready to download.
For Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox - Your archive will be saved in a folder on your Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox account.
IMPORTANT: This process can take hours or days depending on the size of the data to be exported. You will receive an email when the data is available to be accessed.
- You can use your archive file to import your data into certain supported desktop mail clients such as Mozilla Thunderbird or Apple's Mail app.
Visit the Google's support page for more information about archiving and exporting your Google Apps data.