Ask - /faq/5676/handbook-how-to/Go back a step
How do I use the Handbook to choose subjects?
The Handbook is an essential tool when planning your course. This FAQ is a guide on using the Handbook to choose your subjects.
Finding which subjects are available in your course
Searching and filtering for specific subjects
- What level it is (eg Level 1, Level 2)
- When the subject is running
- What study area it falls into
- Whether it is available as breadth in your course
- Whether it has any quotas or requisite restrictions.
Checking whether you can enrol in a subject
- Requisites (prerequisites, corequisites and disallowed subject combinations)
- Special application/selection processes
- Quotas (subject size restrictions).
See the University Handbook subject page FAQ for more information.
Identifying which subjects you can take as 'breadth' (undergraduate courses only)
To find which subjects you can take as breadth:
- Go to the Handbook
- Select the ‘Subjects' tab
- Select your course from the ‘Breadth in Courses’ filter on the right-hand sidepanel.
Viewing Handbooks from previous years
- For editions from 2017 and onwards: select your commencing year from the ‘Version’ filter on the Handbook search page.
- For pre-2017 editions: visit the Handbook Archive.
Please be aware that the content of subjects may have changed, old subjects may no longer be taught and new ones, shown in newer editions of the Handbook, may have been introduced for you to study.