/ FAQ / Transferring from Melbourne for international students

Ask - /faq/3705/transferring-from-melbourne-for-international-students/

Go back a step

Transferring from Melbourne for international students

I am an international student, can I transfer to another university within the first 6 months of enrolling in a course?

Under the revised National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers for Education and Training to Overseas Students (the National Code), students studying on a student visa are only able to transfer to another institution within six months of the commencement of their principal course of study in limited circumstances.

The University of Melbourne will only issue you a letter of release if the transfer is not to your detriment.

If you have studied your University of Melbourne course for six months, you do not require a release letter in order to transfer to another institution.

To request a release letter, follow the steps outlined on the Changing course or provider page. When you submit your request, you must provide the following documentation:

  • a letter from another registered provider confirming that a valid enrolment offer has been made;
  • a letter from you detailing the benefits of  enrolling in the alternate course; and
  • if you are under 18:
    • written confirmation that your parent(s) or legal guardian supports the transfer; and
    • where you are not being cared for in Australia by a parent or a suitable nominated relative, the valid enrolment offer also confirms that the registered provider will accept responsibility for approving your accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements.

Further information about the University's international student transfer policy is available in the International Student Transfer Policy.