Ask - /faq/6203/exchange-application-processing/Go back a step
Exchange application processing
How can I track the status of my exchange application?
Once you have submitted your exchange application, you will receive updates about your application status via your student email account and on the online application portal.
Status categories for applications are:
- Pending: The default status of the overseas study application. If you have completed all questions and have ticks in each of the corresponding boxes, you will receive an email confirming your application submission.
- Approved by Melbourne: Your University of Melbourne overseas study application has been approved by Stop 1. You should receive an email from Stop 1 confirming your approval.
- Nominated: You have received an email detailing how to complete your host institution application form. If you have not received this email and your application status reads 'Nominated', please contact Stop 1 immediately. Remember to check your junk mail inbox.
- Awaiting Application Return: You are currently completing your host institution application, along with requested copies and supporting documentation, as instructed.
- Host Application Received: You have submitted the host institution application as instructed, and the University of Melbourne is contacting the host institution with all the relevant details to confirm your nomination.
- Awaiting Confirmation from Host Institution: You are awaiting official acceptance of your application by the host institution. We will notify you once confirmation has been received.
- Accepted Host Institution: You have received an official acceptance notification from the host institution and a University of Melbourne acceptance letter has been issued to you
- Committed: After receiving an automatic email from the application system, you will log in and commit to the exchange program.
Other statuses to note:
- Awaiting Response from Student: You have been sent an email about your proposed overseas study application and we are waiting for you to reply.
- Unsuccessful: Your application was not approved by Stop 1 to study overseas in the current round. You can apply again in a later round.
- Cancelled: The University of Melbourne has withdrawn support for your participation in the exchange program.
- Withdrawn: You have voluntarily withdrawn from the exchange program.
- Deferred: You have requested and been approved to postpone your participation in the exchange program until the following round.
- Reserved: The exchange agreement for Medical students to the University of Oslo has a limited number of places and more applicants than can be accommodated. To maximise those places, a small reserve list of students is maintained should someone withdraw from a confirmed place at a suitable time in the semester to allow a replacement to be nominated.
I have an application for Semester 2, 2023
|Tuesday 6 December, 2022||You will be notified if you meet the eligibility requirements for the exchange program.|
|Monday 19 December, 2022||The latest date you can withdraw without conditions on future applications.|
|Friday 27 January, 2023||You will be notified which host institution you have been nominated for (recommended to attend as an exchange student).|
|December 2022 – May 2023||
Once your host institution has accepted your nomination, you will receive instructions on how to apply directly to the institution as an official exchange student.
Please note: Students nominated to institutions with earlier deadlines (such as the University of California and the University of Michigan) will be contacted earlier in December.
What to do while your exchange application is being processed
- If your overseas study plan is under academic review, follow up with your Discipline Adviser to ensure it is processed in time.
- Note that the last date to withdraw from the exchange program without without conditions of future exchange applications is Monday 19 December, 2022.
- Be aware of the rolling deadlines by destination for applications to be received by host institutions. Once your nomination is accepted by your host institution, you will be advised of your application due date via email. You will need to follow the instructions in the email to apply directly to the institution by this date.
|Destination||Rolling deadlines for application to be received by host institutions|
|UK & Ireland||February – April|
|Scandinavia||February – April|
|Singapore:||February – March|
|USA/Canada:||December – March|
|Japan:||February – March|
|China:||February – March|
|Continental Europe:||February – May|
|Latin America:||April – May|