Ask - /faq/6156/Go back a step
How to get a University VPN as a student
How can I access the University's network off campus?
The Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows students to securely access computing resources at the University from any device that is connected to the internet.
Students can use the University's VPN service to:
- Connect to a mapped drive
- Print to a networked printer from off campus
- Remotely connect to a campus computer
- Securely connect to the University's network from a remote site
How to join the VPN
- Cisco AnyConnect is required to connect to the University's VPN. You can install this application onto your computer or device via the appropriate link below:
- Open the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobile Client.
- In the 'Ready to connect' field, type 'remote.unimelb.edu.au/student' without the quotes, and click 'Connect'.
- When prompted, enter your username and password, and click 'OK' (Mac users) or 'Connect' (Windows users).
- You should now be connected and able to use the University's resources as if you were on campus.
- When finished, open Cisco AnyConnect and click 'Disconnect'.
Note: While using the University's VPN, the same rules and regulations apply as if you were connecting your device to the on-campus wireless network. More information about these can be found here.