/ FAQ / Gender identification for trans and gender diverse students

Ask - /faq/6152/gender-identification-for-trans-and-gender-diverse-students/

Go back a step

Gender identification for trans and gender diverse students

How do I change my gender identifier or name in my.unimelb?

If you wish to change your gender identifier, you can do so following the process below. 

This information remains private and is kept as a record of your personal details, but will allow your details as a student to more accurately reflect your identity. No additional evidence is required in order to amend your gender identifier. To change your gender in your personal details:

  1. Download the Change to Personal Details form
  2. Complete the form and in the field marked 'gender', select your gender identifier or select ‘prefer not to say’.
  3. Submit the form online to Stop 1.
Please Note: In line with the new Gender Affirmation policy, our IT systems are being updated to allow greater choice of gender markers in line with leading practice recommendations from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). In the meantime, you can still submit your request to update your gender identifier. If your gender identifier is not yet available in the system, we will notify you once it is available and this change has been actioned. 

How do I change my title?

Using the form, you may also change your title in my.unimelb without any supporting documentation. You may also choose 'None' if you prefer to have no title registered.

Note: while your title will appear next to your name on your academic transcript, titles are not included on your testamur (graduation testamur). Gender is not included on either of these documents.

What if my documentation doesn't align?

If you wish to change the 'gender' in your personal details you will not be required to supply any supporting documentation. If separate forms of ID such as your passport or birth certificate reflect a different gender to your student record, that is okay.

While individuals are encouraged to ensure their documents reflect their gender identity, there are legitimate reasons people may hold conflicting documents. For example, if you primarily identify as trans or gender diverse, you may want to hold a passport in a particular gender to ensure safety while travelling overseas.

What support at the University is available for making decisions about this change?

The University welcomes and celebrates both trans and gender diverse students, and is here to provide a helping hand should any questions or issues arise.  To find support on campus:

  • Students can attend Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS) to talk about issues which affect their study, relationships, work or emotions. Counsellors can help you gain a clearer understanding of a situation and to identify strategies or options for action.  Our Counsellors offer a confidential, responsive and respectful service regardless of your cultural background, beliefs or lifestyle.
  • The Student Union Queer Department is run by your fellow students and works towards improving life for queer students by providing advice, social spaces and events, support groups, resources and a shoulder to cry on in hard situations. The department has links to other Student Union departments such as the Welfare, Disabilities, Wom*n's and Indigenous departments. Together we can offer a wider range of support services.
  • The Graduate Students Association (GSA) fosters an environment of inclusion and outreach for all students who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Transgender, Intersex and Questioning (LGBTIQ). The GSA encourages open dialogue between the LGBTIQ graduate student community and the University through LGBTIQ graduate student representation and tailored events. Our LGBTIQ officer can also provide confidential support and advice to students in relation to their sexuality/gender identity. You can connect with us via our GSA-LGBTIQ Facebook page, or contact your LGBTIQ Graduate representative.

Where can I find additional support?

Gender identity is not inextricably linked to one's sex. Despite being born with a particular set of biological and physiological characteristics a person may personally identify as male, female, or something else entirely.

If you're questioning your gender identity or would like to find out more about the trans and gender diverse communities, check out the resources below:

How is my personal information used?

All personal information collected by the University is managed under Privacy Legislation and governed by the University's Privacy Policy. For more information, visit the Privacy website.

Your preferred name will be updated in student systems (eg my.unimelb, MyTimetable). However your legal name registered with the University may appear in some official correspondence. 

I identify myself with a name other than my birth name

At any time you can submit a Change to Personal Details form without supporting documentation to update the following details on your student record:

  • Preferred name; and/or
  • Gender

However, if you wish to have the name you identify with reflected on official documents, such as your Academic Transcript, evidence of a legal name change must be provided. For information on how to do this, see our Changes to Name and Personal Details FAQ Page.

Evidence of a legal name change in the form of a Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDMV) certificate is required to ensure the integrity of certified documents such as your official transcript, and reflects the practices of a range of public and private institutions.