/ FAQ / Updating Contact Details

Ask - /faq/5017/updating-contact-details/

Go back a step

Updating Contact Details

How do I update my contact details?

The University of Melbourne requires each student to list two addresses (these may be the same):

  • Contact address: your address during the University semester
  • Home address: your permanent address that you can be contacted at during University holidays.

Please ensure that you nominate your current address (where you are living now) by selecting Make preferred.

To register a new address:

  1. Go to your Personal Details page in eStudent
  2. Select contact in the left menu
    Screenshot indicating location of contact tab within eStudent, between personal and emergency contact, on the Details screen.
  3. When you’re entering your contact information, such as your overseas permanent address, you must only use English characters.
  4. To register a new 'Contact' or 'Home' address, select 'Add New' and then enter your address details and click save.

To edit and/or update existing contact details:

  1. Follow steps 1 and 2 from 'To register a new address' to view your current addresses. To edit and/or update existing addresses, select Edit in the table next to the address you want to change. You can then enter your new address details and click Save.
    Screenshot indicating location of edit button in eStudent, next to address field under My Addresses
  2. Next to your updated address, select the Make preferred box to ensure that mail from the University is sent to that address.
    Screenshot indicating location of 'make preferred' button, next to copy button under My Addresses on eStudent
  3. Your addresses will be verified and updated.

To duplicate existing contact details:

If you want to duplicate an existing address to make it your 'Home' or 'Contact' address, you can select Copy next to the address you want to duplicate and then tick the address type you want it to copy to.

Address verification error

If the address you entered can’t be verified, an option to ‘Use the unverified address entered instead’ will appear. If you are certain that you have correctly entered your address, select this option and click ‘Save’ to proceed.

No address saved in my.unimelb?

If you have no address saved as part of your contact details, you will not be able to add an address yourself. Please submit an enquiry to Stop 1 with your address details, and we will update your address for you. You will then be able to make future updates to your details via my.unimelb.

Student visa holders

If you are a student visa holder you must also update your contact details with the Department of Home Affairs. Further information is available from the Home Affairs website.

International students under 18

If you are an international student under 18 years old, you will not be able to update your address yourself in my.unimelb. To update your contact details with the University, you must send an email to int-under18@unimelb.edu.au with the following information:

  1. Your student number
  2. Your full name
  3. Details of the changes required